Penticton Geology and Lapidary Club
June 26, 2021
Please take the time to insert your comments, and reply by July 15th.
· The club has not been active because of covid
· Efforts to get new people to serve on the executive have not been successful
· There has been discussion regarding fewer meetings and more of an emphasis on field trips, and how we proceed post pandemic
· The outgoing executive members met this morning to discuss the future direction of the club.
· Given the current heat wave, and our past issues cancelling field trips in the summer due to weather and fire, we will not be holding any field trips in July and August.
· There are now 14 individuals who have shown interest in joining the club.
· We have members from Summerland to Osoyoos, and Keremeos to Rock Creek. This means that any planned event requires travel for members.
· The Covid shut down of BC Lapidary Society events has left a large gap in the annual calendar.
· Decision to send a survey to members and prospective members.
· We need a new meeting place, and tentatively would have a general meeting September 1st.
· We are asking for your input by July 15th, so any proposed changes etc can be included with a notice of meeting.
Please insert your comments below.
· What is your main interest in being a part of the club?
· We are the Penticton Club, but collecting sites are not close. Most of our recent trips have been in the Kettle Valley and Similkameen. Do longer day trips interest you?
· Are you equipped/interested in field trips that involve camping?
· Do you have skills/interest in serving on the executive, with a mentor to help you get started?
o Basic book keeping? Collection of dues, submit dues to BC Lapidary Society
o Basic secretarial (meeting minutes)
o Leadership skills for chairing meetings and planning
· The past monthly meetings have been September – November, Christmas Party, April – June. A suggestion has been made that September and April are key meetings, but other gatherings could be field trips. Your thoughts?
· We need three “Wagonmaster” volunteers to learn the ropes and lead field trips. Would you be willing to lead trips, learning from a mentor? Do you have skills and interest in GPS mapping roads to sites.